Remembering Tommy Burton

Jackie Burton Runs in Memory of  Tommy Burton in the Great North Run for the Stroke Association

Hello Everyone

I have been lucky enough (I think) to earn a ballot place in this years Great North Run… only the biggest half marathon in the world!  I have chosen to raise money for the Stroke Association and run in memory of Tommy Burton. Dad had devoted his life to entertaining people worldwide for over 50 years before being affected by a stroke which took away the 50 years of songs, tunes and jokes, and I know people have a lot of fond memories of him.

I will be joined by another 49,999 others on Sunday, 16 September 2012, and will run 13.1 miles (believe me, it’s a long long way!) from Newcastle to South Shields.  As a relative beginner, I joined a club last November running 3 miles.  I completed my first half marathon in March of this year in 2 hours, 12 minutes and 37 seconds.  There is now TEN weeks to go and I am, once again, in training!

I am looking forward to this prestigious event so, in memory of Tommy, please make this run worthwhile and please give to my cause.  You can do this on my Just Giving page at:

or write out a cheque payable to ‘The Stroke Association’, write your full address on the back if you wish to ‘gift aid’ and pop it in the post to:

JazzyJac
15 Jedburgh Avenue
Perton
Wolverhampton
WV6 7XR

And so, one more time…

I Wanna Be Like You… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX1kgQSNSUE
Thank you so much everyone for your kind generosity!

Jazzy Jac

Please follow and like us:

Comments

1. Edward Black says:

I remember him at the 100 Club and on the tarmac at New Orleans Airport: he was a lovely man who gave great joy to people.
    Best wishes

2. Pete Lay says:

Tommy was a truly iconic artist and to be remembered in this manner is indicative of the jazz fraternity. Well done, Jackie!

Way back, many years, my first visit to New Orleans, I drove down Esplanade, swung a right past the French Market, turned right up Gov. Nichols, and who was the first person I recognised crossing the road in front of me… yep, Tommy Burton. The start of a great friendship with Tom and Dottie and of course our lovely friend Jackie!
    Pete and Jill

3. Rob Jones says:

Hi Jackie
    I have a very long memory of Tommy going back many years, his music humour friendship and especially that last Saturday in Bude, sitting on the bridge with your mum Dottie, who was to know what the next 24 hrs would hold?
    I remember on one of my visits to New Orleans with my late wife Yvonne, I think 2000 the year you came along to help Vernbon and Veronica Ahley. Oh what memories.
    Good luck with your run and I will be thinking of you.
    I will send you a cheque to help your fund.
    Regards Rob Jones

4. M.WHITBROOK says:

April 2013. Hello. This man was my idol. He was a brilliant musician. I’ve never forgotten his rendition of the Fats Waller song “There’ll be some changes made”. I have cds and a dvd of this wonderfull musician. I couldnt get to his funeral. Recently I cycled 14 miles to put some flowers on his grave and a message of my thoughts to a really great man. R.I.P Tom. Good luck, Jackie, well done!

5. Barry Grinsell says:

Hello Jackie ,
    the last time I saw Tommy was in Burton-on-Trent during the nineties, at the Riverside , unfortunately I couldn’t get a seat as it was sold out , however I had acquired a copy DVD of Walt Disney’s The Jungle Book which I gave to Tommy ( it had not ben released then ) ,.
    I have tried to contact your Mother by telephone but I have had no luck , the point of my call to her was to enquire as to where Tommy played in New Orleans as I am going over there in October this year ( 2014 ) and also how could I purchase one of Tommy’s CDs or find out what is on them possibly ‘ Cesspools ? Jackie I must finish with something Tommy said when we were watching him at the Crest hotel in Walsall he said ” I’m going to New Orleans soon , eh why don’t you all come ? we could get a charabanc ” with a huge grin.

6. Kenneth Pomlett says:

Sunday at the Lord Raglan was a must for me and the family. Apart from the music, comedy also a great feature. Now living in W. Australia, can only remeniss, Loved the man, a one off talent.

7. Annika Keelan says:

Hi Jackie. We have wonderful memories of your father playing in Lincolnshire at our friend Roger Gotts house and at our wedding in 1995. We were very privileged to know him and his music. We have a dvd of the whole night, if you would like a copy let me know and I will send to you. Sadly missed, he brought joy to so many. Kind regards, Annika Keelan xx